Welcome to La Capilla de Santa Maria. We are a Hispanic Mission Church located in the mountains of Western North Carolina. Our mission is to support community and family, by building bridges between the Anglo Culture and the Latino/Hispanic people.
Sunday 11:00 am
Upcoming Events in December: LAS POSADAS
- Wednesday, December 17: St. James Hendersonville, 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, December 19: Trinity Spruce Pine, Friday 19, 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, December 20: La Capilla de Santa Maria, Hendersonville, 7:00 p.m.
- Sunday, December 21: Holy Family Mills River, 6:30 p.m.
- Monday, December 22: First Congregational Hendersonville, 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 23: All Souls Cathedral, 7:00 p.m.
Posada is Spanish for “lodging”, or “accommodation”; it is said in plural because it is celebrated more than one day in that period. The nine-day novena represents the nine months of pregnancy, specifically the pregnancy of Mary carrying Jesus. Las Posadas is a nine-day celebration with origins in Spain, now celebrated chiefly in Mexico, Guatemala and portions of the Southwestern United States, beginning December 16 and ending December 24, on evenings.
The procedure has been a tradition in Mexico for 400 years. While its roots are in Catholicism, even Protestant Latinos follow the tradition. It may have been started in the 16th century by Friar Pedro de Gante. It may have been started by early friars who combined Spanish Catholicism with the December Aztec celebration of the birth of Huitzilopochtli.
- Friday, December 12 at 6 p.m.
- La Capilla de Santa Maria, Hendersonville
We congratulate 20 kids from la Capilla who are going to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation. The Rt. Rev. G. Porter Taylor will impose hands and anoint and commission these newly confirmed to witness Jesus Christ in the world.
Service followed by a fellowship, hot chocolate, sweet bread, and lot of energy. Come to worship with us and pray for our kids. Priests: Red Stole.
La Capilla de Santa Maria,
St. Mary’s Dr.
Mitchel Burnet (828) 243-1338; La Capilla (828) 606-5333; Fr. Hilario
(805) 760-3018 Ruth A. Cisneros 702-280-6654